It is about time we took our cameras to the next level. Sure, most folks just use their smartphone to take pictures these days, but if cameras could do the same things our phones can, we’d be willing to bet more cameras would sell.
To answer the question that is probably brewing in your mind right now, yes people still use cameras. They are still the best way to take photos and capture those magical, Kodak moments. Speaking of Kodak, let us bow our heads in silence for a moment. Right, now that we’ve taken care of that, let’s move on!
As we were saying, wouldn’t it be wondrous if your camera could do the same thing as your smartphone? No, we’re not talking about sending texts from your camera, although that would be pretty cool. We’re talking about a camera, that lets you take photos, and then upload them to their respective places. After all, most folks keep all their photos on their social media network of choice these days.
Nikon has done just that with the recently unveiled Coolpix S800C.
The Nikon Coolpix S800C a Modern SmartCamera
The Nikon Coolpix S800C includes Android 2.3.3 with full Google services functionality and integrated Wi-Fi. That means you can upload your latest images or HD video to your cloud service or social network of choice. It is no longer necessary to transfer photos to your computer and then to their own storage area. Provided you have WiFi access, you can connect directly to your preferred service and upload your images just minutes after capturing them.
The Coolpix S800C is a 16 megapixel camera, which also includes support for full 1080p HD video capture. A 3.5 854×80 Pentile LCD allows you to preview photos and accomplish anything else you would on a touchscreen display.
If you don’t mind draining your battery, you can even play Angry Birds right on your S800C. That’s right, because the S800C has access to Google’s services you can do anything any other Android device can do. There is a limit to your power though, for example, you won’t be playing graphic intensive games like Dead Trigger and Shadowgun on your S800C, but considering what else it can do that’s not actually disheartening news.
The Nikon Coolpix S800C Tech Specs
It stands to reason that because the Nikon Coolpix S800C is a digital camera it will capture higher quality photos than your average smartphone. Along with the 16 megapixel capture rate, the S800C also includes a 10x optical zoom and an extended 4x digital zoom. That means you can actually zoom in on your subject using the S800C. Most smartphones are equipped with a digital zoom which ruins the quality of the output image as soon as you zoom in.
Here, is the complete list of tech specs for the S800C:
- Effective pixels:
- 16.0 million
- Image sensor:
- 1/2.3-in. type CMOS
- Total pixels: approx. 16.79 million
- 10x optical zoom
- NIKKOR lens
- 4.5-45.0 mm (35mm 
- Format equivalent: 25-250 mm); f/3.2-5.8
- Digital zoom magnification:
- Up to 4x (35mm 
- Format equivalent: approx. 1000 mm)
- Vibration Reduction (VR):
- Combination of lens shift and electronic VR (still images)
- Lens shift (movies)
- Motion blur reduction:
- Motion detection (still pictures)
- Focus range:
- [W]: Approx. 50 cm (1 ft 8 in.) to infinity
- Macro mode: 10 cm (4 in.) to infinity
- 8.7 cm (3.5-in.)approx. 819k-dot
- OLED monitor with touch screen control and anti-reflection coating
- Storage media:
- SD/SDHC memory card
- Image size (pixels):
- 16M [4608 x 3456]
- 16M [4608 x 3456]
- 8M [3264 x 2448]
- 4M [2272 x 1704]
- 2M [1600 x 1200]
- VGA [640 x 480]
- 16:9 12M [4608 x 2592]
- 16:9 2M [1920 x 1080]
- ISO sensitivity (Standard output sensitivity):
- ISO 125-1600
- ISO 3200 (Manual setting is enabled in Auto mode / Continuous shooting mode)
- Hi-Speed USB equivalent
- Power sources:
- Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL12 (supplied)
- Charging AC Adapter EH-69P (supplied)
- AC Adapter EH-62F (optional)
- Battery Charger MH-65 (optional)
- Battery life of still shooting:
- Approx. 140 shots with EN-EL12 battery
- Dimensions (W x H x D):
- Approx. 111.4 x 60.0 x 27.2 mm (4.4 x 2.4 x 1.1 in.) excluding projections
- Approx. 184 g (6.5 oz.) with battery and SD memory card
- Supplied accessories:
- Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL12
- Charging AC Adapter EH-69P
- USB Cable UC-E17, Camera Strap
- Optional accessories:
- AC Adapter EH-62F
- Battery Charger MH-65
When Will the Nikon Coolpix S800C Be Available?
Despite being recently announced, the Nikon Coolpix S800C will be available in September for $350 in the US and £379 in the UK.
Nikon released some sample images taken with the S800C which we’ve included in the gallery below. Feel free to browse them at your own convenience. If you need more information on the S800C, be sure to check out Nikon’s official product page.